Does Medicare Cover Oxygen Equipment and Supplies

Does Medicare Cover Oxygen Equipment and Supplies?

Does Medicare Cover Oxygen Equipment and Supplies: Everything you need to know about Home Oxygen Therapy, Portable Oxygen Concentrators and more

If you have a breathing disorder like asthma or emphysema and are ages 65 and older with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), it’s important that the question gets asked: does medicare cover oxygen? 

Home atmospheric air therapy is just one of many treatments available which can be costly without insurance. 

Let’s explore how Original Medicare may also provide this critical coverage for those who have a need for oxygen and qualify for oxygen therapy.

Does Original Medicare Cover Oxygen Equipment and Supplies?

Yes, Medicare coverage will help to cover the costs of home oxygen therapy if it is considered medically necessary. This means that your doctor must prescribe oxygen therapy in order for it to be covered.

Your doctor needs to show a need for oxygen therapy such as low blood oxygen levels for you to receive Medicare benefits for the oxygen system.

In most cases, Medicare will cover up to 80% of the costs associated with oxygen therapy, with you being responsible for the remaining 20%.

There are a few things to keep in mind if you’re planning on using Medicare to cover the costs of your oxygen therapy.

First, you’ll need to make sure that you’re enrolled in Part B of Medicare. Part B covers most of your durable medical equipment (“DME”) supplies and expenses, including those who need stationary oxygen therapy.

You’ll also need to make sure that you’re using an approved equipment rental company for oxygen tanks and equipment. You can find a list of approved suppliers on the Medicare website.

Finally, it’s important to remember that oxygen therapy is a long-term treatment. As such, you’ll need to continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium in order to keep your coverage.

You may also be responsible for a deductible and copayments associated with oxygen therapy depending on your Medicare plan.

The DME rental company is responsible for the oxygen machine repairs and service of their equipment.

If you have any questions about whether or not Medicare will cover the costs of your oxygen therapy, you should contact your primary care doctor to verify they believe it is medically necessary. They’ll be able to give you specific information about your situation and help you get the coverage you need.

What Medicare Part (Medicare Part A or Medicare Part B) Covers Durable Medicare Equipment?

Original Medicare Part B covers those eligible for Medicare with the needed oxygen equipment and accessories that are rented from an approved DME supplier. Medicare Part B will pay the costs of oxygen equipment and supplies if it is considered medically necessary.

This means that your doctor must prescribe oxygen therapy in order for it to be covered. In most cases, Part B will cover up to 80% of the costs associated with oxygen therapy, with you being responsible for the remaining 20%.

How much does Original Medicare Cover for Portable Oxygen Concentrator and Supplies?

If oxygen equipment and supplies are deemed medically necessary, Medicare will help to cover the expenses. In most situations, Medicare will pay 80% of the oxygen therapy costs, with you responsible for the remaining 20%.

Which Medicare Plan Provides the Best Coverage for Home Breathing Machine: Medigap Plan G or Medicare Advantage Plans?

Part B of Original Medicare, is responsible for covering oxygen equipment or supplies. However, there are other Medicare plans that do provide coverage for oxygen equipment and supplies that Medicare beneficiaries may want to also consider.

The two main types of Medicare plans that provide coverage for oxygen equipment and supplies are Medigap plans and Medicare Advantage plans. 

Medigap plans are supplemental insurance plans that can be used to help pay for costs (20 percent coinsurance) not covered by Original Medicare. Medicare Advantage plans are private insurance plans which may be a third option to consider.

So, which Medicare plan is the best option for coverage of DME such as home oxygen medical equipment: Medigap Plan G or Medicare Advantage Plans?

Medigap Plan G is a supplemental insurance plan that can help cover the costs of oxygen equipment and supplies. Medigap Plan G is one of the most popular Medigap plans, and it is also one of the most comprehensive.

Medigap Plan G covers all of the costs of DME equipment including oxygen equipment and supplies that are not covered by Original Medicare once you have satisfied your annual Medicare Part B deductible. 

If you have already paid your Part B deductible related to doctors’ office visits or other medical services for the calendar year, you will not need to pay anything toward your DME.

Medicare Advantage plans are private insurance plans that replace Original Medicare. This means they have their own set of coverage requirements outlined in their summary of benefits. 

Most Medicare Advantage plans will require you to pay the 20% coinsurance up to your max-out-of-pocket limit for the year. Some Medicare Advantage plans may have a copay related to DME however, this is not common amongst Medicare Advantage plans.

So, which Medicare plan is the best option for coverage of oxygen equipment and supplies: Medigap Plan G or Medicare Advantage Plans? The answer to this question depends on your specific needs and budget.

If you are looking for comprehensive coverage with no out-of-pocket costs for oxygen equipment and supplies other than your Part B deductible, then Medigap Plan G would be the clear winner. 

If you are looking for a lower monthly premium and are willing to pay some out-of-pocket costs for DME such as oxygen equipment and supplies, then a Medicare Advantage plan may be the best option for you.

How does Medicare Cover Home Oxygen Equipment Rental and Supplies?

Medicare coverage for home oxygen equipment and supplies will be approved if the following conditions are met:

  • The amount of Oxygen needed is medically necessary for the treatment of chronic conditions related to being unable to breathe enough oxygen.
  • The oxygen is prescribed by a licensed medical doctor.
  • The oxygen is used as part of a plan of care approved by Medicare to deliver oxygen contents to someone age 65 eligible for Medicare.

If these conditions are met, Medicare will help cover the cost of renting or buying oxygen systems such as a Lincare oxygen tank. Medicare will continue to cover the costs of repairs to oxygen equipment.

What are the Medicare Coverage Guidelines to Cover Portable Oxygen Concentrators?

Medicare guidelines state that oxygen equipment and supplies must be medically necessary and prescribed by a physician. 

The equipment must be used for a medical condition that requires oxygen therapy, and it must be determined that the patient cannot get the same level of oxygen therapy without the equipment.

How can I get oxygen equipment and supplies?

You may get oxygen therapy at home or in a hospital.

If you get oxygen therapy at home, you will need to buy or rent the oxygen equipment and supplies from your local approved DME supply store.

You also may be able to buy oxygen equipment and supplies from some pharmacies. However, you will need to check with Medicare on which option will be covered by your health insurance plan.

How Much Does Oxygen Cost with Medicare?

Does Medicare Pay for Oxygen Therapy?

Does Medicare Cover Portable Oxygen Concentrators?

Portable oxygen concentrators (POCs) are devices that can be used to provide oxygen therapy to people who need it. POCs are small and lightweight, making them easy to carry around. They can be used at home, at work, or while traveling.

Medicare will pay for covered POC rental fees and maintenance costs. Your Medicare plan may require you to pay a deductible and/or up to 20% in coinsurance costs.

How Much Does Oxygen Cost with Medicare?

If your doctor thinks oxygen therapy could help you, they will prescribe it. Oxygen therapy is available in two ways: through a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) or gas or liquid oxygen.

If you have Orignal Medicare Part B, you may wonder how much Medicare Part B covers oxygen therapy and how much it will cost you. Here’s what you need to know.

Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) does cover oxygen therapy. However, you will still have to pay a 20% coinsurance for the equipment and supplies. You may also have to pay a yearly deductible if you haven’t met it yet.

With a Medicare Supplement Plan G you will only be responsible for your Original Medicare Part B deductible if not met for the year. All other costs will be covered at 100%

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C), you will have to check with your plan to see if Medicare covers oxygen therapy. Most Medicare Advantage plans also cover oxygen therapy, but there may be some costs that you have to pay, such as a copayment or coinsurance up to 20% of the bill.

If you’re thinking about getting oxygen therapy or already have it, check with Medicare first to see what costs you may be responsible for. One of our Medicare insurance agents can also help find a plan that best meets your health care needs.

Does Medicare Cover Hyperbaric Equipment and accessories?

Yes, Medicare does cover hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) for specific indications.

HBOT is a type of oxygen therapy used to treat various conditions, including wounds that are not healing correctly, infections, and injuries.

Medicare will cover DME if it is determined oxygen therapy is medically necessary to treat one of the above conditions.

If you are interested in HBOT, you should talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you.

Will Medicare Advantage Offer Coverage for Oxygen Therapy?

Original Medicare (Parts A and B) does not cover oxygen therapy. However, some Medicare Advantage plans may offer coverage for oxygen therapy as part of their benefits package. If you’re interested in oxygen therapy, check with your Medicare Advantage plan to see if it’s covered.

Do Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans Provide Medicare Oxygen Equipment Coverage?

Original Medicare (Parts A and B) does not cover oxygen therapy. However, some Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap) may cover oxygen therapy. If you’re considering purchasing a Medigap plan, you should check with the insurer to see if oxygen therapy is included in the coverage.

Healthcare Cost for Older Adults

Are Portable Oxygen Conentrators Covered by Medicare?

Yes, Medicare beneficiaries can obtain portable oxygen concentrators covered by Medicare if you meet the following criteria:

  • You have a medical condition that requires you to use oxygen due to low oxygen levels.
  • Your doctor prescribes oxygen for you to use.
  • The portable concentrator equpment is approved by the FDA.
  • The portable oxygen concentrator is approved for use on Medicare-covered airlines.

What Happens After 36 Months of Renting DME?

According to the centers for medicare and Medicaid, the implementation of the Deficit Reduction Act (DRA) of 2005‘s provisions on oxygen and oxygen equipment and limited rental DME would have a financial impact for Medicare beneficiaries. 

Those enrolled in Medicare who use oxygen technology will no longer be required to pay coinsurance after the 36-month rental period, whereas if you rent your oxygen or capped items you will no longer be charged two additional months of coinsurance and a semi-annual maintenance and servicing payment. 

After 13/36 months, Medicare recipients will own capped rental equipment and oxygen equipment.

Your Cost-Sharing Under Medicare

Your cost-sharing for oxygen equipment and supplies under Medicare will depend on several factors, including whether you have Medicare Part A and/or Part B, and whether you have a Medicare Advantage Plan.

If you have Original Medicare, Part A, and Part B, you will typically have to pay a deductible, coinsurance, and/or copayment for your oxygen equipment and supplies.

If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, your costs may be different if you need oxygen therapy.

Does Medicare cover the Inogen Oxygen Support Machine?

Yes, Medicare will pay for oxygen concentrators as long as you meet their coverage criteria. The Inogen One G3 is one of the most popular and cost-effective portable oxygen concentrators on the market.

If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, your costs may be different if you need oxygen therapy.

Integrity Now Insurance Brokers is here to help you learn more about Medicare such as in this article where we have outlined how to cover a portable oxygen concentrator. Our Medicare insurance agency hopes to be your single source of information.

Reach out to one of our licensed Medicare insurance agents and we will do our best to provide you with our resources on what Medicare will also cover. We are also here to help you sign up for a new Medicare plan.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Pinterest