10 Top Places to Retire in Florida for Boomers: 10 Best Florida Retirement Communities
If you are a Baby Boomer and looking for the perfect Florida retirement community, then look no further.
Florida is one of the top 10 states to live in, according to Forbes magazine. More than 20 million people visit each year with more retirees moving there every day as they age and retire from their careers in other parts of the United States.
Should you move to Daytona Beach, Miami, Jacksonville, or somewhere else when you are ready to retire? Are you a Disney fanatic and want to live near their theme park?
We will also discuss other important facts about retiring in Florida.
If you’ve found yourself searching for the perfect Florida retirement community, these are your top 10 options.
The 10 Best Retirement Communities for Boomers in Florida
Florida has a number of top-rated retirement communities that offer residents a variety of amenities and services. As a retiree, you can home prices are lower and Florida has no state income tax. There are so many places to live in Florida for people 55 and older it is no wonder why Florida is considered the retirement capital of the world.
If you love supporting professional sports teams and your old team is simply no good, Florida has several great options to claim as your own. Let’s explore what Florida offers and tackle this list together of the 10 best places to retire in Florida.
1. The Villages Retirement Community: Beach Front Retirement Destination and Largest Retirement Communities
The Villages is a 55+ community located about an hour north of Orlando in Central Florida. It Is a popular choice for seniors looking to live out their golden years in luxury and comfort and is consistently the best-selling (and fastest growing) master-planned community in the country.
Located just outside of Ocala, The Villages offers residents a wide range of amenities and services, including:
- The Villages has the most golf holes per capita of any city in the world (Over 250 golf courses boasting over 60,000 golf cars in The Villages)
- The Villages is the safest Metropolitan Statistical Area in Florida according to FBI Crime Data.
- The Villages is home to more than 7 million square feet of restaurants, commercial buildings, and retail space.
- Horseback riding trails
- Indoor and outdoor pools
- Arts & crafts classes.
- There are more than 2,400 organized clubs in The Villages.
- There are around 200 pickleball courts in The Villages.
- 30,000 people spectate at the Polo stadium each year.
You will not run out of things to do when you move into your dream home in The Village. This takes our number 1 spot for best retirement communities in Florida.
2. Sarasota: Sarasota Bay Club near the Coast
Sarasota bay club is one of the best places and is all about luxury. When you look at their offering you will not be disappointed if luxury living is your priority. Sarasota is also considered one of the best cities offering amazing beaches in Florida providing a grand retirement lifestyle.
Here are a few important details about this community:
- The location is absolutely stunning, with sweeping views of the bay and lovely landscaped grounds.
- The facilities are state-of-the-art and provide everything you need for a luxurious lifestyle.
- There is an incredible range of on-site amenities, including a heated pool and spa, fitness center, cocktail lounge, library and reading rooms, and even a hair and nail salon.
- There is a wide variety of activities and events available for residents to enjoy.
- The dining options are flexible and allow you to dine either on campus or off campus.
- The beauty salon and gift shop are convenient additions to the already impressive list of amenities offered at Sarasota Bay Club.
- Downtown Sarasota Yacht Club in Florida
3. Lakewood Ranch Communities for Seniors: 55+ Adult Community
Can I just say WOW! If you are looking for a home it’s all about the Lakewood Ranch Retirement Community. Talk about the perfect retirement homes! If you are considering retiring in Florida this is a must-see.
Check out all they have to offer to their community:
- 55+ communities offer a variety of social activities for seniors to enjoy, including tennis, golf, and swimming.
- These communities are usually located near major healthcare facilities for easy access to medical care.
- Most 55+ communities are gated for safety and security.
- Lakewood Ranch Golf & Country Club is one of the top 10 best-selling master-planned communities in the United States. It offers privacy, resort-style living, and homes built around lakes, nature preserves, and a golf course.
- More than 150 miles of trails and parks
- Robust club offerings and community events
- A tradition of care and consideration that has made Lakewood Ranch the #1 multi-generational community in the U.S. for four years running
- 50 square miles of shopping, dining, arts, entertainment, recreation, and more
- Over two dozen villages with diverse homes and amenities to suit any family or lifestyle
4. Ocala Florida Retirement Home Communities: Great Weather and Attractions
The Ocala Retirement Community earned our fourth spot but it does not disappoint.
If you are looking for a great place that is rich in natural beauty this is the spot for you:
- The Ocala area is rich in history, horses, and culture.
- It is surrounded by beautiful natural environments.
- There is a great selection of shops and restaurants downtown.
- It is surrounded by beautiful natural environments.
- There are two standout 55+ communities in Ocala: On Top of the World and Del Webb Stone Creek.
- Del Webb Stone Creek has all of the amenities most people have come to expect from Del Webb communities, including a golf course.
- Top of the World is a bit more low-key but still offers plenty in the way of amenities and activities. Both communities are highly rated by residents and offer a great quality of life.
5. Port St. Lucie Retirement Community: Active Retirement Communities
If you are looking to live by the Golf Coast when you retire, you must consider Port St. Lucie.
Check out our top nine reasons why this could be the place you call home:
- Port St. Lucie is located in the heart of Florida’s Treasure Coast, just an hour north of West Palm Beach.
- The area is growing urban, but has not lost a sense of “the real Florida.”
- Visitors can enjoy hiking, paddling, horseback riding, spring training baseball, golf, and more.
- Port St. Lucie is also home to one of the few remaining jai-alai frontons in Florida.
- There are plenty of shopping and dining options available in the city.
- Sarasota is located along the Gulf Coast, just an hour south of Tampa and a little under two hours north of Fort Myers.
- Lakewood Ranch is the #2 selling community in the country behind The Villages.
- Ocala is surrounded by some of the most beautiful natural environments you will find anywhere.
- Valencia Walk will offer the next generation of new home designs, and incredible amenities and is located in very close proximity to Riverland’s 5-acre Arts & Culture Center, as well as the future City Parks and Town Center
6. Watersound Retiree Community: Best 55 Communities
Watersound is a great community that we just could not leave out. Taking our sixth spot it has some absolutely stunning views.
Here is some notable mentioning about Watersound:
- Latitude Margaritaville Watersound is the 3rd Jimmy Buffett-inspired Latitude Margaritaville retirement community
- Latitude Margaritaville Watersound is located between Pensacola and Panama City, near Panama City Beach with approximately 15 miles of frontage on the Intracoastal Waterway.
- The community is also just a short drive from the famed Scenic Highway 30A corridor with its scenic white-sand beaches, this region is the embodiment of the relaxed setting that is at the heart of the Latitude Margaritaville lifestyle.
- Latitude Margaritaville Watersound is also close to several health care providers, including Seagrove Beach Medical, Pancare of Florida, and Gulf View Family Medical Center.
- When looking for dining and entertainment options, they can travel along Front Beach Road which is home to several restaurants, bars, and shops.
- Homeowners looking for additional venues to explore can visit the Man in the Sea History Museum, visit Panama City Beach Zoo, or take a trip to Ripley’s Believe it or Not!
- Those who wish to explore Watersound’s scenery will have plenty of opportunities to do so in the area. There are several parks and greenspaces in the area, including Pine Log State Forest, Gulf Lakes Public Beach, Crooked Creek Trailhead, and Eden Gardens State Park. Golfers will be happy to know that courses such as Origins Golf Club, Camp Creek Golf Club, and Windswept Dunes Golf Club can be found nearby.
- Residents looking to explore
7. Tampa Florida: Valencia del Sol
Valencia del Sol is a new community that caters to residents looking to socialize and stay physically active.
Here are some great facts on why many retirees choose Valencia Del Sol:
- The Valencia Del Sol 55+ community is located central to all of Tampa’s hottest main attractions, entertainment, fine dining, and shopping
- The community features a 25,000-square-foot clubhouse with resort-style amenities
- There are four distinct home collections available, all with high-end finishes and features
- The community is pet friendly, with a dog park on site
- Residents can enjoy plenty of activities and events, from movie nights to live concerts to bocce courts and more!
- There are 588 homes in the Valencia Del Sol community
- With the help of a full-time lifestyle director, residents can enjoy game nights, cooking demonstrations, arts and crafts activities, and more!
- Sports lovers will appreciate the five clay tennis courts, eight pickleball courts, and two bocce ball courts available for use
8. St. Cloud: Del Webb Sunbridge
St. Cloud is located along the southern banks of East Lake Tohopekaliga near Kissimmee and just south of Orlando. The city was originally known as a retirement destination for Civil War veterans.
Find out why St Cloud took our either spot to retire:
- The city has a rich history and is a perfect mixture of old and new Florida living.
- St. Cloud is a new 55+ gated community in St. Cloud.
- The 27,000-square-foot Clubhouse features luxurious indoor and outdoor amenities like a zero-entry pool, resistance pool, pickleball and tennis courts, a fitness center, a movement studio, and more.
- They offer both Single-Family Homes and Villas
- In addition to having a rich history, the area also offers a type of small-town living that is getting harder and harder to find here in Florida. Combining that small town atmosphere with access to all of the amazing amenities located just to the north in Orlando makes St. Cloud a perfect mixture of old and new Florida living.
- Finding good healthcare should not be a problem as St. Cloud is located near Lake Nona’s Medical City which features Nemours Children’s Hospital and Research Campus, Orlando VA Medical Center, and UCF Lake Nona Hospital.
- Everything about the lifestyle in St. Cloud revolves around the community’s small-town atmosphere including the downtown business district which has a fun assortment of storefronts selling everything from antiques and furniture to handmade arts and crafts.
- The restaurant scene also has a small-town vibe to it with popular options including The Silver Lining Cafe, Jimmy Bear’s BBQ, Rancho Chico, Mutt’s on 13th, and The Catfish Place.
9. Naples: Valencia Trails Retirement Community
What can we say about Napes? Naples is a community in southwest Florida that offers the best shopping, recreation, and beautiful white sand beaches. The historic downtown area of Naples is filled with high-end shops and boutiques and is known for its stunning beaches.
Now let’s talk about Valencia Trails in Naples:
- Valencia Trails in Naples offers the best resort lifestyle with a magnificent 42,000 sq. ft. Clubhouse where every day new events, clubs, and entertainment abound.
- Valencia Trails is designed for 55+ living and boasts luxurious standard features including tile roof, brick pavers, stainless steel and gas appliances, designer tile flooring throughout main areas, rich stone exterior finishes, and more.
- Palm Coast is home to a fantastic BBQ joint, Captain’s BBQ, that serves a delicious variety of smoked meats and traditional BBQ sides.
- JT’s Seafood Shack is a great seafood restaurant in Palm Coast that specializes in their “Steam Pot,” which comes with crab legs, shrimp, clams, and mussels in a “spicy seafood boil” with sausage, corn, and potatoes.
- Mezzaluna Pizzeria is a great place for pizza lovers who want to try something new with their pies. They offer traditional pizzas as well as unique specialty pizzas like their Eggplant Florentine Pizza, Chicken Marsala Pizza, and Greek Salad Pie.
- There are several communities in the area that would appeal to retiring baby boomers’ active lifestyle, with single-family homes and condos that range in price from the $200s up to over $1 million.
- One such community is Matanzas Lakes, an age-restricted community in Palm Coast with just over 100 homes. Another one, American Village, has just 45 homes but also has 96 condos.
- If you are passionate about either golfing or nature, Palm Coast is definitely a place you are going to want to consider when looking for a Florida retirement destination. But if you are passionate about both, it might be the only place you need to look!
10. Ft. Myers: The Carlyle Model at Valencia Bonita
Our list would not be complete without Ft. Myers. Fort Myers is known for offering the perfect combination of recreation and relaxation with an amazing selection of great local restaurants which can be found in every neighborhood.
Why pick the Carlyle Model homes at Valencia Bonita, let’s discuss why below:
- Baseball fans will be excited to know that both the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins host their spring training activities here.
- The community is actually located a bit inland from the Gulf along the Caloosahatchee River.
- Just west of Fort Myers is where you will find the popular destinations of Pine Island, Cayo Costa, Captiva, and of course, Sanibel Island.
- Like most of southern Florida, Fort Myers is known for having a great year-round climate.
- The average temperature throughout the year is 84 degrees. (what is not to like about this weather)
- Valencia Bonita is located just minutes from pristine beaches, tranquil nature preserves, chic shops, and fine dining.
- Plus, everyday conveniences including banks, grocery stores, and top-rated medical facilities are also just a short drive away.
What is Healthcare like in these Communities?
Healthcare in the Community
Having access to healthcare is important for everyone. As we entire retirement Medicare will become your go-to health care option.
We have great news because so many people retire to Florida there are many great retirement healthcare options in and around Florida.
This is the perfect state for finding a retirement community that matches your lifestyle with its many different options related to healthcare.
Florida has more than 300 assisted living communities and over 60 continuing care retirement communities. They also have some of the best hospitals and doctors catering to older adults.
Healthcare Providers in the Community
Florida has more than 82 thousand health care providers in its state. This means you will not have a shortage of options when you are in need of care. You should not have an issue finding the best doctors in south Florida or in any other part of Florida.
Before moving to Florida you will want to compare Medicare and individual health insurance options depending on your age. Many retirees prefer Original Medicare with a Medigap plan vs a Medicare Advantage plan. However, Flordia has ample Medicare Advantage options in the state.
Quality of Healthcare in the Community
When looking for a place to live, many people are interested in knowing how good the healthcare system is in that community. The quality of healthcare in a community can be an important factor when making decisions about where to live.
While Florida may shine during most of the year, they do not score high related to the quality of healthcare. Florida ranked #48 for overall health care among 50 states which we must concede is not great.
Available Medicare Advantage Plan Options in Florida
Medicare Advantage Plans differ from Parts A and B of the Original Medicare system in a few key ways. While Part A pays for inpatient care at a hospital and Part B covers services and supplies used to treat or prevent medical conditions,
Medicare Advantage Plans come with a few added benefits.
Advantage Plans are required to offer the same level of care as Original Medicare, but may also include additional health care benefits like prescription drug coverage, routine hearing and vision exams, fitness club memberships, and more.
In 2022, there are 583 Medicare Advantage Plans available in Florida.
There are several different types of Medicare Advantage Plans available, depending on your insurance provider and location. It’s important to learn the differences between these plans and how they might affect your coverage before making a decision about which one is right for you.
Why I should Buy a Medicare Supplement Plan?
There are several reasons to buy a Medicare Supplement Plan.
First, if you have Medicare Part A and Part B, a Supplement plan can help pay some of the out-of-pocket costs that Medicare doesn’t cover. This includes things like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.
Finally, a Supplement plan can give you some peace of mind by providing coverage in case you need to go to a hospital or skilled nursing facility.
Costs of Medicare Plans in Florida
In Florida, Medicare plans can range from free to very expensive. 100% of Florida’s Medicare population will have access to at least one plan with $0 monthly premiums. The average monthly premium for a Medicare Advantage Plan in Florida is $8.54, which is a slight increase from $8.36 in 2021.
163 of the plans available in 2022 offer innovative benefits such as wellness and health care planning, reduced cost-sharing, and rewards and incentives programs.
Medicare Advantage Plans are offered by Medicare-approved private insurance companies as an all-in-one solution.
There are a variety of different Medicare plans available in Florida, each with its own set of benefits and costs. The Part D drug plan is the most popular option, accounting for nearly half of all Medicare enrollees in the state. This plan allows beneficiaries to access prescription drugs at no cost through their insurance company.
However, not all Medicare plans are equal. Some plans offer more benefits than others, and some are much more expensive than others. It’s important to research all of your options before choosing a plan – there’s no single best option out there!
What is Housing like in these Communities?
Size of housing in the Florida Retirement Community
You will have many options available to you. If you prefer a smaller Atlantic coast home or a larger home along Florida’s gulf coast the opportunities are endless throughout Florida.
Condition of housing in the community
Housing is one of the most important factors that affect a person’s overall quality of life. Poorly maintained or unsafe homes can lead to problems such as anxiety, depression, and even physical health issues.
Florida has both new retirement communities with newly built homes to older homes.
Some of the newer retirement communities in Florida include The Villages, a large age-restricted community located near Ocala; Trilogy at Ocala Preserve, a gated community with new construction homes; On Top of the World, also located near Ocala; and SummerGlen, located in Marion County. There are many other newer communities as well, especially in the Central and Southern parts of the state.
There are also many older retirement communities in Florida, such as Kings Point in Sun City Center near Tampa; Century Village in Deerfield Beach; and The Plantation in Fort Myers.
What is safety like in these communities?
The safety of the residents in Florida retirement communities is a top priority for these communities. All of the communities have security measures in place to ensure that everyone, including the elderly and disabled, is safe.
Each community has an emergency plan and a staff who are trained in first aid and CPR. In addition, each community has a monitoring system that keeps track of all activity within its boundaries.
All the retirement communities have policies in place to protect both the privacy of their residents and their property.
Each community also offers social activities and events to keep residents connected with one another. Make sure you review the local crime rate in the Florida cities you are considering. No city in Florida is perfect but the internet or a local real estate agent should be helpful in pointing you in the right direction when looking for a great place to retire.
What is Transportation like in these Communities?
The transportation in these Florida retirement communities is great for those looking to live a quiet and peaceful life. There are many options for getting around, including carpooling, biking, and walking.
Many of these communities have golf courses or other activities that can be enjoyed outside of the city as well.
Make sure you reach out to the specific retirement community to inquire about the needed services you desire.
What are the Pros and Cons of Retiring in Florida?
Pros and cons of retiring in Florida vary depending on the person. Some people enjoy the warm weather, while others may find it too hot or humid.
There are many different types of retirement communities available in Florida, so you’re sure to find one that meets your needs.
Florida is a popular retirement destination for people from all over the world.
Some people find that Florida has a high cost of living, while others think it’s worth it because of all the attractions available.
Many retirees choose to live in FL because they want to be near family or friends.
Consult with an expert before making any decisions about retiring in FL- there are many factors involved
Do you need help with finding a Medicare Health Plan in Florida?
We offer a wide range of Medicare plans that can cover you in all stages of your retirement.
We have a team of experienced insurance agents who can work with you to find the best plan for your needs. Contact them today to get started!